Re: games unsuitable for children

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 03:20:36AM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:

For the debtags list that joins us only now, the full thread reference
can be found at http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/2006-December/002801.html

> > I believe TIGRS rating categories meet these criteria.  There's no reason we
> > should seek to place the trademarked TIGRS rating box on Debian games, but
> > the categories could form a template for debtags:
> I like that classification. It's clear and parents has still the last
> decision. Should we write to enrico so he can make suggestions about such a
> debtag category?

Here are my thoughts.

If there is an objective scale (like Kandinski suggests), I'm very happy
to have it in Debtags.

If there is a subjective scale, I prefer it to be distributed as an
add-on that people can turn on or off as they please (like ratings, as
we did with Iterating.org: http://www.enricozini.org/2006/debtags/iterating-org.html).

In the list at http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2006/12/msg00015.html I
think that MILD/STRONG is subjective, while a scale as suggested at
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/2006-December/002812.html
could be made objective.

A set of categories like the one at http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/2006-December/002811.html
is probably too much: I don't know if we need such granularity at the
moment, and I wouldn't want to end up with more tags than we have
packages to tag.

A suggestion I could give is to have a facet for highlighting these
'features' (which is what Debtags does).  I can't think of a good name
and probably finding the name of the facet could be the most difficult
part.  For the sake of discussion I'll name it 'foo'.

Then we can put tags in foo according to the 'features' we have in
Debian.  We normally want to see a list of packages for every tag that
is proposed:

  foo:nudity	(what packages do we have in Debian?)
  foo:sex	(what packages do we have in Debian?)
  foo:violence	(the various dooms, brutalchess, xevil, dopewars...)
  foo:religion	(no as much the bible text itself, but things like 'verse')
  foo:swearwords (dopewars, linux-source-2.6.18)
  foo:drugs	(dopewars, the chemical screen saver in xscreensaver, what else?)
  [...]

Nontrivial problems arise, however, when we consider
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/2006-December/002807.html
Ben Armstrong mentions Xpenguins and jumpnbump, but xscreensaver has the
really nice molecule view screen saver enabled by default that will
however by default show molecules for a wide range of narcotics.  I
*LIKE* it on my desktop, but it causes me problems when I install it in
a high school.

This last issue of software that can be configured to be ok is not
solvable by debtags, and calls for an approach like a standard,
cross-package preference file in /etc and home directories.

Ciao,

Enrico