bits from the DPL -- November 2013

Hi,

Here is my 8th monthly report, for November 2013.

Outline:
--------
- Appointment of Keith Packard to the Debian TC
- Outreach Program For Women update
- Role of Release Goals
- Debian Developer Certificates
- Anti-Harassment contact point
- Preface for the Debian Administrator's Handbook
- Assets
- DPL Helpers and DPL TO-DO list

Appointment of Keith Packard to the Debian TC

Following the recommendation from the Technical Committee, I appointed
Keith Packard to the Debian TC[1].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/11/msg00009.html

Outreach Program For Women update
=================================

We were able to raise $2250.50 for our participation in OPW, which was
doubled (so, $4501) thanks to a matching fund by one of Debian's
sponsors. I proposed [0] and, based on the feedback, decided to go
with two slots, using Debian funds for the missing part.

Our OPW coordinators, Brian Gupta and Paul Tagliamonte, announced that the
two selected participants are Michelle Harris and Judit Gyimesi. They
will both be working on translating the Debian installer, with Christian
Perrier.

See [1,2,3] for details.

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/11/msg00070.html
[1] http://gnome.org/opw/
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/OPW

Role of Release Goals
=====================

During the release team sprint, which I attended, we had a discussion
about the role of Release Goals. The summary from the release team
is:
> The general consensus was that, whilst release goals have been useful
> in the past to introduce archive-wide changes, we should review
> whether this remains the case and whether the release team is really
> the right place to determine them. We intend to consult with the
> project on this point in due course.

And I elaborated a bit more in [0].

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/11/msg00455.html

Debian Developer Certificates
=============================

As previously announced by Stefano[0], and documented [1], the DPL is able
to generate DD certificates. If you are a DD and need such a certificate (to
provide it to someone who thinks that your @debian.org is not sufficient
proof :) ), get in touch with me. Note that the
printing/signing/(scanning||mailing) process is obviously manual, so please
don't request one if you have no real use for it.

[0] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/06/DD_certification/
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DDCertificate

Anti-Harassment contact point
=============================

Debian has had an anti-harassment contact point for a while; thanks to
Raphaël Walther, it is now properly listed on the Debian website. See [0]
for details.

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment

Preface for the Debian Administrator's Handbook

Stefano Zacchiroli drafted a very nice preface[0] for the Debian
Administrator's Handbook[1], which we will co-sign (the preface,
not the book).

As a reminder, the Debian Administrator's Handbook is a free (as in DFSG)
book authored by Debian Developers Raphaël Hertzog and Roland Mas. It is
already available in Debian as a package (debian-handbook).

[0] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-handbook/debian-handbook.git;a=blob;f=en-US/00a_preface.xml
[1] http://debian-handbook.info/

Assets
======

Auditors team meeting
---------------------
The auditors team met on 2013-11-11, following the integration of
Christopher Browne, Brian Gupta, and Philipp Hug. The next meeting
is on 2013-12-09 at 18:00 UTC on #debian-dpl.

Expenses
--------
+ workstation for debian-installer developer: 1760 €
+ hard disk: £ 71
+ additional switch for the man-da infrastructure: ~700 €
+ memory expansion cards for m68k buildds: 470 €
+ hard disks at bytemark: £ 158
+ pre-approved security sprint in jan/feb 2014: max 2750 €

Amazon Web Services credits for 2014
------------------------------------
Amazon renewed its support to Debian by donating AWS credits for up to $8000
for 2014. This will be (likely) mainly used by David Suarez to perform
archive rebuilds, as he has been doing them since ~May. Please get in touch
with him if your work would benefit from custom rebuilds. If you are
thinking about non-QA uses of those credits, please get in touch with me.

Many thanks to James Bromberger for making this donation possible.

DPL Helpers and DPL TO-DO list
==============================

Two DPL helpers meetings took place:

- 2013-11-13:
  Minutes: http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-dpl/2013/debian-dpl.2013-11-13-17.59.html
  Minutes (text): http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-dpl/2013/debian-dpl.2013-11-13-17.59.txt
  Log: http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-dpl/2013/debian-dpl.2013-11-13-17.59.log.html

- 2013-11-27:
  Minutes: http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-dpl/2013/debian-dpl.2013-11-27-17.58.html
  Minutes (text): http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-dpl/2013/debian-dpl.2013-11-27-17.58.txt
  Log: http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-dpl/2013/debian-dpl.2013-11-27-17.58.log.html

The next DPL helpers meeting is on 2013-12-16, 18:00 UTC

Here is the current state of the DPL TO-DO list.  As noted in the past,
obviously not all items have the same importance or urgency -- some of
them are listed just because "it would be nice if this was done and there
was activity recently, so I'm keeping an eye on them".  If you feel like
helping with one of the items listed below, please contact me for details
(or just proceed).  Thanks!
("C:" means "current status:", "N:" means "Next action:")

*** delegations and teams
- [lucas] press team (C: someone stepped down.  N: talk to team)
- [lucas] release team delegation (C: dpl-helpers.git:release-delegation.txt + http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/dpl-helpers/2013-September/000088.html N: update draft delegation, iterate with team; possible topic for RT sprint)
- [lucas] discuss the debconf chairs delegation with debconf team
- [lucas] policy team (C: plessy stepping down, N:?)
- [lucas] DAM: Jonathan Wiltshire <jmw> candidate? confirm, then update delegation
- [lucas] DSA: add zumbi, revisit task description? (http://deb.li/3YLVl)
- [lucas] move/restart discussion on Debian services on Debian infra to -project@, as asked by DSA
- [lucas] wrap up events team discussion (N: list content of events box, update events@ alias)

*** money / accounting / TOs / auditor / trademark
- [bgupta] formally define the roles and responsibilities of our TOs (N: improve wiki.d.o/Teams/Auditor/Organizations)
- [bgupta] define a policy for the handling of debian.* domain names
- [bgupta] work with SPI to enable donations via paypal
- [bgupta] rework donations web page. (N: HTML mockup; #681501)
- work with TOs to fix/improve reimbursement procedures (C: http://deb.li/s6MI)
- [auditor] formalize process for reimbursement RT tickets
- ask SFLC what should be our policy about contributors from Iran
- wrap-up status of debian-uk

*** various other things
- [richih] add Debian logins to http://www.debian.org/intro/organization.en.html

*** projects/ideas outside DPL scope to help move forward / make sure it happens:
**** new contributors related
- Debian Welcome team (C: http://deb.li/ctX2 + BOF during DebConf - http://deb.li/w3bM . recent email: http://deb.li/3tCUj )
- "recruit" some example packages to point prospective contributors to. (N: send mail to -devel@, ping major teams)
- adjust documentation around 'gift' tag, or rename the tag. See http://deb.li/GWs4
- debbugs submissions via http (C: http://deb.li/3F03i N: follow-up on #590269)

**** other
- Debian Code of Conduct (C: http://deb.li/3wRWh  N: iterate with a new version?)
- binary-throw-away uploads -- related to reproducible builds (C: http://deb.li/3NPsz N: dak work)
- Debian PPA (would make transitions much easier to manage) (C: implementation not started yet AFAIK  N: dak work)

Full/up-to-date list: http://people.debian.org/~lucas/todo.txt

Day-to-day log

As usual, my day-to-day log of DPL activities is
available on master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201311

- Lucas