Bits from Debian Med team

Hi,

some of these bits are a bit outdated but there is no point in hiding
this information just because it is old.

1. FOSDEM talk
2. Jabber interview about Debian Med
3. Article about Debian Med
4. Yearly sprint of Debian Med team
5. DebConf 13 in Vaumarcus
6. Codefest of the Open Bioinformatics Foundation
7. Reupload unattended packages (** might be of general interest **)
8. Debian Med Bug Squashing Advent Calendar 2013

1. FOSDEM talk
==============

Andreas Tille had a talk at FOSDEM[1a] which is also Video recorded.  A
quite similar but updated talk was held at DebConf 13[5a] (see below).

[1a] http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/201302_fosdem_distro/

2. Jabber interview by reporter from India

There was an interesting interview between Rajeev Nair and Andreas Tille
at So, 17.02.2013 Rajeev Nair is Business head of an health care journal
in India[2a] held via jabber.  Since this might serve as some nice FAQ
about Debian Med here is a complete log of this interview[2b] (permission
to publish it was granted).

[2a] http://www.healthcafe.in
[2b] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/community/interview/interview_r.nair-a.tille.log?view=markup

3. Article about Debian Med
===========================

As a consequence of the interview above[2b] the Debian Med team has
assembled an article which was originally intended to be published in
the Health Cafe journal[2a] but somehow this never happened.  So we
ended up with a nice article targeting at interested readers about Free
Software in medicine with not necessarily informatics background.  Since
the article is considered to be of good quality and has consumed some
time of several team members we are seeking for ideas for relevant
places where to publish it.  It is available as PDF[3a] as well as in
SVN[3b].

[3a] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/debian-med-healthcafe.pdf
[3b] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/community/papers/13_healthcafe/

4. Yearly sprint of Debian Med team
===================================

This year we had our third sprint of the Debian Med team and all
participants consider it a great success again.  The sprint was in end
of February and the individual reports are linked from the according
wiki page[4a].  Since Andreas Tille was able to prove the nice effect of
having face to face meetings in Debian teams in the team metrics graphs
presented in his talks at DebConf[5a,5b] we will keep on with this
good tradition.  The next sprint[4b] is scheduled for Friday 31st
January until Sunday 2nd February in Stonehaven near Aberdeen.  If you
are interested to meet the people behind Debian Med and want to join us
in developing packages which are helpful in health care and
bioinformatics you are invited to join us.

[4a] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Meeting/Kiel2013
[4b] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Meeting/Aberdeen2014

5. DebConf 13 in Vaumarcus
==========================

Andreas Tille had two talks with specific influence to Debian Med
development[5a,5b].  For those who want to read a full (and lengthy)
report about DebConf 13 by Andreas Tille this is online as well[5c].

[5a] http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/20130812_blend
[5b] http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/20130815_mom
[5c] http://debianmed.blogspot.de/2013/09/debconf-13-report-by-andreas-tille.html

6. Codefest of the Open Bioinformatics Foundation

Ivo Maintz and Steffen Möller organised the Codefest of the Open
Bioinformatics Foundation[6a] in Berlin. About 40 contributors from all
over the world attended, connecting the Debian community strongly with
upstream.  The event triggered a joint paper of participants to Sprints,
Codefests and Hackathons alike, presented at the Nettab conference on
"Semantic, Social, and Mobile Applications for Bioinformatics and
Biomedical Laboratories" in Venice[6b].

[6a] http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Codefest_2013
[6b] http://www.nettab.org/2013/

7. Reupload unattended packages
===============================

Andreas Tille has mentored the GSoC student Emmanouil Kiagias[7a] and as
a byproduct some Blends metadata were now kept in UDD.  This has
inspired some new tools and one of this was an UDD query[7b] to return
all packages in the interest of the Blend ordered by date when they were
uploaded.  It has shown that there were packages hanging around in the
package pool since five years.  So some effort was done to check those
packages which were not necessarily "buggy" according to BTS entries and
so we were able to fix the following issues in about 20-30 packages:

   - Remove DM-Upload-Allowed fields
   - hardening
   - canonical Vcs fields
   - checking homepages / watch files
   - checking policy 3.9.4 (cme fix dpkg-control)
   - profit from xz compression in binary packages which makes
     perfectly sense in some of our packages
   - DEP5
   - DEP3
   - use dh consequently to simplify things for team members / NMUers
   - finally upload several changes in VCS but remained UNRELEASED
   - found several other hidden issues like
      - vanished homepages
      - changed homepages and thus non-working watch files

Since it was impressive how many things that deserve fixing are hidden
in such long unattended packages it is recommended also to other teams
to spend some time into these.  The UDD query[7b] can be easily tweaked
for a team maintainer address.

[7a] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/StudentApplications#Redesign_metapackage_creation_for_Debian_Blends
[7b] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=blends/website.git;a=blob;f=misc/sql/0-aging.sh

8. Debian Med Bug Squashing Advent Calendar 2013

The Debian Med team will again do the Bug Squashing Advent Calendar.
Feel free to join us in our bug squashing effort where we *close*
bugs while other people are *opening* doors. :-)

[8a] http://debian-med.alteholz.de/advent/

Thanks for your attention

      Andreas.

--