bits from the DPL: December 2012

Dear Project Members, happy new year!

Here goes another report of DPL activities, this time for December
2012. This issue of the DPL-monthly is skinnier than usual: during the
past month I've been struck by the catastrophe also known as "family
holiday season", enjoying a solid 10 day break from computer-related
activities.

Talks
=====

- I've been invited to talk about Debian and its opportunities in the
  field of education (for both students and teachers) at the fOSSa
  conference [1] in Lille, France. Slides of the talk I delivered there
  are available [2].

[1]: http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2013
[2]: http://upsilon.cc/~zack/talks/2012/20121205-fossa.pdf

- On related news, I've gladly accepted an invitation to talk at the
  next LibrePlanet conference [3] in Boston, next March. It will be the
  occasion to discuss the status of collaboration with the FSF and the
  GNU Project. (FWIW, I'm trying to secure travel sponsorship with the
  conference organizers, but if that won't turn out to be possible I
  plan to go on Debian funds, as I consider this event important enough
  to do so.)

[3]: http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2013

Assets
======

- The debian.eu saga is over! DNS is now under control of DSA, currently
  as a redirection to debian.org as for many other ccTLD, and we have
  now paid the corresponding transfer costs.

- The saga about the relicensing of www.d.o content, on the other hand,
  is still ongoing. But we made progress! Bradley Kuhn has kindly
  offered his experience to complete the relicensing part --- and most
  notably for dealing with contributions from people we haven't been
  able to contact. Due to busy-ness we will proceed further only in a
  few months, but in the meantime there is some work to do on our side,
  as documented in #388141 [4].

[4]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=388141#356

- In conformance with the periodic hardware maintenance plan (the goal
  of which is, I remind you, having all Debian hardware under warranty)
  we have bought extended warranty for the storage array that serves
  project machines hosted at UBC ECE (~830 CAD). Thanks goes to Luca
  Filipozzi for taking care of the order part.

- As they did last year [5], Amazon kindly renewed their offer of AWS
  credit to be used for Debian related purposes, such as QA rebuilds.
  This year they offered us 8'000 USD of credit which, according to
  projections from last year usage, should be enough for QA rebuilds and
  buildd usage for events like BSP. Many thanks to Lucas Nussbaum and
  Bill Allombert for reaching out to Amazon contacts and making this
  possible.

[5]: http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=718

DPL helpers
===========

- The experiment of sharing the load of DPL responsibilities within a
  larger team still ongoing. We held one more IRC meeting in December
  (and skipped one due to holiday season…). Logs are available at the
  usual place [6].

[6]: http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-dpl/2012/debian-dpl.2012-12-11-17.59.html

- Also, I've now started moving the DPL-related part of my own TODO list
  to the dpl-helpers.git repository. The idea is to further reduce SPOF
  and ease the transition to the next DPL.

  BTW: this is my *last-3 report as DPL*. If you haven't yet started
  encouraging project members you think could do a good job as DPL to
  apply, you should better hurry up!

Collaboration with the outer world

- As requested, I've provided a quote for FSF's restricted boot campaign
  [7], that we have subscribed as a project a while ago.

[7]: http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement

- Thanks to the prod of various people (hi, Sune!), I've noticed an
  interesting call [8] from the Italian government to representatives of
  FOSS communities, to form a group of experts that will have to decide
  the criteria to adopt in the public administration. The call is in
  Italian, but an article in English [9] on the matter has been posted
  on the Joinup website of the European Commission.  I've therefore
  submitted an application as Debian representative and, if accepted,
  I'll be happy to push for criteria that too often leaves high quality
  and well reputed community-based distributions out of the door for
  futile reasons (e.g. corporate "certifications").

[8]: http://www.digitpa.gov.it/notizie/avviso-partecipazione-tavolo-lavoro-redazione-linee-guida-criteri-valutazioni-comparative-ai
[9]: http://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/registration-closes-today-helping-italy-draft-open-source-criteria

That's all for last year, enjoy the new one, which will soon see a new
Debian release out of the door.  And to make it happen sooner, let's go
back fix RC bugs!

Cheers.

PS the day-to-day activity log for December 2012 is available at the
   usual place `master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201212`
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .