Misc Developer News (#30)

The news are collected on http://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
Please contribute short news about your work/plans/subproject.

In this issue:
 + Report from DSA Team Sprint
 + Using RAM for temporary files ?
 + Control Commands at submit@bugs.debian.org time
 + Debian Maintainer Dashboard
 + Declaring media (MIME) types with FreeDesktop menu entry files

Report from DSA Team Sprint
---------------------------

 The Debian System Administrators met for a sprint in Oslo, Norway. Luca
 Filipozzi sent a report[1] about their activities at the sprint. The
 goals of the meeting were to develop a long term plan for Debian's
 infrastructure, to review the current set of machines we maintain and the
 services we provide, and to formulate some policies and procedures
 regarding account and group management.

 They aim to ensure that all Debian hardware is no more than 5 years old
 at any one time and hope to improve Debian donations and financial
 contributions in order to support that. They are moving towards using
 virtual machines for most services, consolidating our hosting locations
 and adding disaster mitigation through geographically-distributed service
 redundancy. They are starting a new Debian CDN for the distribution of
 static content such as the Debian website and Planet Debian. They have
 recently deployed a SSO solution for debian.org web based services. They
 will also be locking inactive shell accounts and adding easy ways to
 unlock them and monitoring the use of group memberships.

  -- Paul Wise

 [1] http://lists.debian.org/20120320012015.GA19474@emyr.net

Using RAM for temporary files ?
 couple of posts and on LWN.

 - Final decision on defaulting to disk:

 - Summary from the person who started the thread:

 - Rebuttal: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00318.html

 - Article on LWN: https://lwn.net/Articles/499410/

Control Commands at submit@bugs.debian.org time

 You can now use control commands at submit@bugs.debian.org time in the
 pseudo-headers. An example is the following:

 Package: foo
 Severity: normal
 Control: retitle -1 a bug, a bug, a buggy bug
 Control: tag -1 moreinfo help

 See pseudo header control commands[2], my blog post[3], and the
 DebConf12 lighting talk[4] for more information.

  -- Don Armstrong

 [2] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting#control
 [3] http://www.donarmstrong.com/posts/control_at_submit/
 [4] http://penta.debconf.org/dc12_schedule/events/900.en.html

Debian Maintainer Dashboard
---------------------------

 Debian Maintainer Dashboard[5] aims at gathering various kind of
 information useful to maintainers and teams. In addition to the usual
 information about packages versions, bug counts, etc., it exposes a list
 of TODO items (RC bugs to fix, missing builds, testing migration issues,
 new upstream releases etc). DMD gets all the data from the Ultimate Debian
 Database.

  -- Lucas Nussbaum

 [5] http://udd.debian.org/dmd.cgi

Declaring media (MIME) types with FreeDesktop menu entry files

 The package mime-support version 3.53~experimental1[6] was uploaded in
 experimental. It implements the parsing of .desktop files to generate
 mailcap entries, thanks to a patch[7] from Brian M. Carlson. This will
 allow to de-duplicate media type information in packages containing
 FreeDesktop menu entry files.

  -- Charles Plessy

 [6] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/mime-support.git;a=commitdiff;hp=3.52-1;h=3.53_experimental1
 [7] http://bugs.debian.org/497779