Call for projects for Google Summer of Code 2011

Hi!

Debian is applying as mentoring organization to the Google Summer of Code
(GSoC) this year, as we have done previous years [0][1]. In the next 2 weeks
we should have the full list of possible projects ready and if we are accepted,
the students will start submitting their proposals on the 28th March.

- Are you a Debian CONTRIBUTOR who wants to mentor a project?

Please take a look at the proposal template at [2], file all the details and
drop us a email at [4]. You should also subscribe to that list since it is the
is the coordination and discussion mailing list. If you have a possible project
but you are unsure whether it would be adequate for GSoC, please, don't give up,
mail us and we will try to work with you in making it a proper GSoC project.

If you want to know what entails mentoring a GSoC project you can read this
document [5].

- Are you a STUDENT who would like to do a project?

Start lurking in Debian lists, IRC, and read tons of information on the Debian
wiki and website now!
Before the opening of students proposals, try to get in contact with the mentors
and groups working in the project you are interested by mail, IRC, etc. This is
extremely important if you want to improve your proposal.
There is a proposal template at [2] that you will be asked to complete.

If you are interested in working in a specific area of Debian, you should get
in contact with the people working there as soon as possible and see if your
project idea can work as a Google summer of code project. Early communication
is key to getting to a perfect proposal by the time the submission time is up.

If you want to know what is entailed in being a GSoC student you can read this
document [6].

Do you have any other question? Take a look at our FAQ[7], join us in our IRC
channel #debian-soc (irc.debian.org), or for important stuff, please use the
list so it does not get lost.

[0] http://code.google.com/soc/
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode/ProposalTemplate