Architecture usertags

Hi,

I thought I'd sent out this mail, but apparently I did that when I had
just reinstalled my laptop and the mailsetup wasn't working yet. Sorry
about that.

Now almost a month ago, I asked Don Armstrong to create architecture
tags in the BTS. I've always felt that such a thing would be useful,
because often porters are unaware of architecture-specific bugs, simply
because there's no way in the BTS to actually search for them. Having
such an ability could make porters of a particular architecture aware of
the issues that affect their architecture, and (where necessary) able to
help out.

Don suggested using usertags instead, since it is the policy of the
maintainers of the BTS to not create new 'regular' tags anymore unless a
usertag is in common use already. That's fine with me, but it has one
tiny little problem: if people are unaware of the usertag, they cannot
add it to their bugs, thereby defeating the purpose of this whole
exercise (allowing porters to find architecture-specific bugs that they
are unaware of). This mail is to remedy that one tiny little problem.

I made a small proposal on the debian porters' mailinglists, which did
not encounter any resistance (apart from the fact that some
architectures already have a (set of) usertags that they use). It is as
follows:

- The user to an architecture usertag should be the porters' mailinglist
  for that particular architecture. That is,
  debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org for powerpc-related bugs,
  debian-armel@lists.debian.org  for arm and armel-related bugs, and so
  on.
- The usertag should be the name of the architecture: m68k for m68k,
  powerpc for powerpc, hurd-i386 for hurd-i386, and so on (that's not
  hard, is it? ;-)

I made a short overview of this on the wiki, at
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Debbugs/ArchchitectureTags (with permission
from Don to write something in the /Teams/Debbugs namespace)

Maintainers are hereby encouraged to use these usertags on any
architecture-specific bugs they might have on their packages.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22