Misc developer news (#12)

The news are collected on http://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
It's your duty to share news about your work/plans/subproject.

In this issue:
 + Bdale Garbee as Acting Secretary
 + New proposal to track maintenance status of all packages
 + Packages-arch-specific maintenance changes
 + Githubredir available
 + Babelbox updated for Lenny

Bdale Garbee as Acting Secretary
--------------------------------

 Manoj Srivastava resigned as secretary[1]. Following section 7.2[2] of
 our constitution, the chairman of the technical committee — currently
 Bdale Garbee — is serving as acting secretary[3] until the DPL appoints a
 new one.

  -- Raphael Hertzog

 [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2008/12/msg00275.html
 [2] http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#7
 [3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2008/12/msg00292.html

New proposal to track maintenance status of all packages

 To avoid big delays in releases we need to have an active maintainer for
 each package so that we don't end up with thousands of RC bugs rotting in
 unstable. To achieve this we must detect as early and as accurately as
 possible when a package needs a new maintainer. This proposal[4] aims to
 solve this problem and more by regularly asking each maintainer to
 self-assess the kind of maintenance that he's doing with each of his
 packages. Feel free to share your comments on the idea!

  -- Raphael Hertzog

 [4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2008/12/msg00046.html

Packages-arch-specific maintenance changes

 The wanna-build admins have put Packages-arch-specific (the file which
 states what packages are excluded from which architectures) into their
 hands. This means that the submission rules for changes to this important
 file that controls our building infrastructure changed a bit:

  -- Philipp Kern

Githubredir available
---------------------

 Gunnar Wolf announced[5] GitHub-Redir[6]. The main target for this site
 is uscan: given that GitHub allows for downloading as a .zip or as a
 .tar.gz any given commit, it suddenly becomes enough to git tag with a
 version number, and GitHub magically makes that version available for
 download. Which is sweet!

 Sometimes it is a bit problematic, though, to follow their format. Github
 gives a listing of the tags for each particular project, and each of
 those tags has a download page, with both archiving formats.

  -- Rene Mayorga

 [5] http://gwolf.org/node/1873
 [6] http://githubredir.debian.net/

Babelbox updated for Lenny
--------------------------

 The "Babelbox" demo system has been updated for Lenny. It's been tested
 with D-I Lenny RC1, but should also work without further changes with
 RC2.

 As a result of various changes in the installer, installation and use of
 Babelbox is somewhat simpler than it was for Etch.

 Babelbox is a system designed to demonstrate the automation capabilities
 of the Debian Installer. It also shows the high number and the quality of
 translations available for the installer. It is well suited for a live
 demo on a booth in an expo or any other event.

 For further information, see:
 http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/BabelBox

  -- Frans Pop

--