Bug Squashing Party next weekend, June 9 - 11

From: Mohammed Adnène Trojette <adn AT diwi org>

 Hi Debian Maintainers.

 Andreas Barth has recently reminded[0] us that in six months we will
have to get Etch out. According to our Release Managers' schedule, next
week, we should have no more than 300 release-critical bugs.

 As of today, we are around 340[1]. That's way too far from our goal.
We are consequently setting up a real life Bug Squashing Party next
week-end near Paris as part of the BSP Marathon[2].

 This BSP will be kindly hosted by "VIA - Centrale Réseaux", the
student-managed network association of the École Centrale Paris
engineering school at Chatenay-Malabry. Practical details (accomodation,
food, location...) are all noted on the wiki page[3] (sorry for the
short notice, though).

 It will be held from Friday evening to Sunday evening: June 9 - 11.
The main objective will be to make us respect the release schedule and
go under the 300 bugs bar (and even below, if possible).

 Anyone wanting to remotely help is of course welcome, and will find us
on the #debian-bugs channel on irc.debian.org (OFTC).

 There should be plenty of bugs for all levels of complexity,
programming language or legal skills and time requirements. So if you
never attended to a BSP before and want to help, *now* is the right time
to start.

 The RC Bug Squashing HOWTO[4] by Steve Langasek gives a good
introduction and is probably a must-read for beginners. But don't
hesitate to ask questions in #debian-bugs, we will be eager to get
you to do some work :)

 Non-DDs can also easily contribute by creating patches and/or testing
existing ones. Just send them to the related bug report, a DD can easily
pick it up from there. See also the end of this mail for a list of
useful links.

Procedures:

 During the BSP we should use a 0-Day NMU policy again, that means
uploads that fix RC bugs that are more than a week old can be uploaded
directly. If you feel unsure about a patch and/or if the patch is rather
invasive, please consider asking on #debian-bugs for review and/or
giving the maintainer some time to react by uploading to the DELAYED
queue[5].

 So let us all *squash*[6]!

 [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/05/msg00015.html
 [1] http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/