BSP Marathon (or: helping releasing etch in-time)

Hi,

[ Please send follow-ups to -project, headers set accordingly ]

As you should all know, we had some bug squashing parties before
the release of Debian 3.1 "sarge". These were quite effective,
especially when they were centered around a meeting in real life. This
led me to the proposal of a row of BSP this fall, helping to prepare
the release of Etch.

Naturally, fixing RC bugs is needed all the time. The BSPs we are
planning will be focused on some sub-systems, so to help to release
etch, *you* need to fix RC bugs all the time, so finish reading this
mail, choose an RC bug and try to fix it!

What we're planning at the moment are three (or more) weekends with BSPs
at different locations in parallel, each time with a different emphasis:

 11.08.06-13.08.06: Testing d-i and fixing bugs in the installation
                    process

 08.09.06-10.09.06: Testing upgrades from pre-release etch and sarge and
                    fix remaining bugs

 06.10.06-08.10.06: Fixing remaining bugs in core packages

At the moment, we still haven't found hosts for all real life BSPs - so
please check out if you can organize something. Please use [1] for
coordination! There is also a small howto [2] with facts to think about
before organizing a real life BSP.

Greetings
Martin

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/BSPMarathon