Bug-Squashing Party: April 20th-23rd

Hi, all.

Time flies, and it has already been 3 months since our last
Bug-Squashing Party. I think we all agree it is quite too long without
such fun, and we should, therefore, fix that immediately. Fortunately
enough, FISL[0] - the largest Latin-American FLOSS conference - starts
tomorrow, and is certainly going to gather a number of people already
involved with Debian, besides other potential contributors. It seemed to
be a perfect opportunity for us to do collective in person hacking,
while trying to get more people aboard and motivating interested people
all around the world to join us and rock, so here we are, announcing the
dates.

For long-lasting delight, we will be squashing bugs from Thursday (April
20th) to Sunday (April 23rd), in all timezones. Coordination will, as
usual, happen through the #debian-bugs channel on irc.debian.org. For
real interaction, if you are attending FISL, look for us at the Debian
booth; it should not be hard to find. Make sure you stop by for an hour
at least, and feel free to spend your whole weekend working with us, as
there are lots of things you can have fun with. If you are not a Debian
Developer, do not be afraid; there is much you can do to help, such as
triaging bugs and writing or testing patches that fix problems so a
developer can prepare a maintainer or non-maintainer upload.

Our main target, which everyone is probably already used to, are the
release-critical bugs affecting the etch release. In order to find
suitable candidates, it is suggested that you read
http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/rc-bugsquashing.html first. However, it
is not the only one this time.

Now that unstable has undergone the X11R7 transition, it is time to make
packages which still install files to /usr/X11R6/bin use FHS-compliant
paths. A full list of packages needing some love can be found on
http://ftp-master.debian.org/~vorlon/x11-common-conflicts-unstable.txt.

Furthermore, python versions 2.1 and 2.2 have been officially declared
obsolete for a number of reasons, and are going to be removed soon.
However, a few packages would be broken by their removal, and should
either be fixed or removed before that happens. More information can be
found on http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2006/04/msg00012.html.

During the BSP, we should use a 0-day NMU policy again, which means
packages that fix release-critical bugs more than a week old can be
uploaded directly. If you feel unsure about a patch and/or if the patch
is too invasive, though, please consider asking on #debian-bugs for
review and/or giving the maintainer some time to react by uploading to
the DELAYED queue[1].

Let's get that bloody graph[2] as low as if it were release time!

--
Guilherme de S. Pastore <gpastore@debian.org>

[0]: http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/7.0/www/?q=en
[1]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/02/msg00887.html