Alioth/haydn issues

As always bad luck strikes at bad moments, as witnessed by the almost
traditional servers problems that strike us before a new release. In
this case haydn, the machine hosting Alioth, arch,debian.org and
svn.debian.org, became unstable in the last week.

Some research pointed out that the LDAP server was stuck and its
database was broken. After restoring this everything worked fine
for a few hours, after which the LDAP server got stuck again.
Further testing showed that even a simple slapcat would freeze after
a while which should never happen.

Since bad hardware is a possible cause we are forced to take the
machine offline for a while to run memtest on it. We fully realize
the impact this has on people using the services hosted on haydn,
but unfortunately there does not seem to be a way around this.

In order to allow development to continue I put a copy of all the
arch and subversion repositories on
http://people.debian.org/~wakkerma/alioth/ . If you do any development
based on that please let me know so I can take that into account when
we resynchronize repositories once services are restored.

Hopefully in 24 hours we will have a better idea of the cause of
the recent problems and know how to fix it.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net>    It is simple to make things.