Re: Unsupported Debian [was: Re: [New maintainer] Working for De

At 09:25 PM 8/5/99 +0300, Alex Shnitman wrote:
>IMHO it's
>better not to have some packages at all, or maybe do have them a
>little later through Raphael's sponsors idea, than to start unofficial
>.deb distribution sites. Since it's much easier to do the latter than
>the former, I'm afraid that more and more people will start doing it,
>and we will end up with a non-commercial version of Red Hat that
>happens to use dpkg instead of RPM.

I wouldn't worry about it. All he did was collect existing sites, one of
which (the KDE site) Debian won't accept the programs from anyway. I'm sure
that Ivan will add them to Debian as soon as we'll accept them. Also, even
if we stopped accepting new packages today, we already have a huge
collection of packages that it would take a lot of time to surpass with any
unofficial site. I think almost anyone who can will join Debian and add
their packages here, instead of staying unofficial.

>Someone from the new-maintainer team, or the project leader, is
>probably reading these lines. If you do, please, can you step out of
>the shade and explain the situation? Please don't regard this comment
>as a flame or troll or whatever. I really sincerely want to know
>what's going on. There must be *someone* who can tell! So please do!

Yes. I was planning on sending in an application as soon as I could get
back to college and find Paul Thompson. But it may not be worth my trouble
if they aren't to accept it until Potato is released, which may be the end
of the year.
--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org (alternately dvdeug@hotmail.com)
"I would weep, but my tears have been stolen; I would shout, but my voice