Policy Weekly for May 1

Hi everyone, this is an experiment to try to get weekly postings of policy
topics happening again. Now seems like a good time, since the policy list
has been having some active proposals on it recently. Notice that this has a
very regular format - if I keep doing it I will try to automate as much of
it as possible. To that end, I'd like to encourage everyone to post policy
proposals as wishlist bugs, using Manoj's guidlines
(http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9810/msg00046.html).

Items will remain on this list until stalled for 2 weeks or done.
An item becomes stalled if there is no activity for 1 week.

Bug: 21875
Title: fixing nntpserver inconsitency
Begin-date: 23 Apr 1999
Proposed-by: Joey Hess
Seconders: Branden Robinson, Santiago Vila, Raphael Hertzog
 Change /etc/nntpserver to /etc/news/server.

Bug: 36051
Title: moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy
Begin-date: 14 Apr 1999
Proposed-by: Joey Hess
Seconders: Raphael Hertzog, Joseph Carter, Branden Robinson
 Proposal to move existing menu hierarcy text into policy with only small
 changes, and postpone large changes until later.
Notes:
 There was some discussion, but we didn't clearly reach a consensus.
 No-one disagrees that some menu structure should be added to policy, but
 there is some disagreement that the suggested structure should go in as-is.

Bug:
Title: Scripts PROPOSAL
Begin-date: 22 Apr 1999
Proposed-by: Brock Rozen
Seconders:
 Proposal to require that scripts ensure the environment they run in is
 sensible, by sanitizing PATH and TZ.
Notes:
 No consensus. IFS may need to be sanitized as well.

Bug:
Title: logrotation
Begin-date: 28 Apr 1999
Proposed-by: Balazs Scheidler
Seconders: Brock Rozen, Raphaël Hertzog, Brian Almeida, Marco d'Itri
 Proposal to change to using logrotate instead of savelog.

--
see shy jo