Re: not using debian as firewall! (now off topic, to an extent)

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> Huh?  I missed the beginning of this thread, but Cisco makes a firewall
> based on a PC platform with a PCI bus!!  It's the PIX firewall.  The
> biggest advantage I can see is that it boots from flash RAM.

I've heard about diskless Linux systems.  From what I know, you can put
the kernel and other things(?) onto an eeprom chip with an eeprom burner
(now that I found out we have em in the ece department, I'm gonna have to
try a few things out with this).  The eeprom goes onto the NIC, and the
kernel loads from ROM.  Voila, diskless (not quite flash rom, but still)

I think I should re-read some more HOWTO's before babbling on any further
though :)

*heads off to metalab to read more*

Do Svidonia,

Martin Held
heldm@ucs.orst.edu
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.