Re: Packages to give away

Joey Hess wrote:
> Martin Schulze wrote:
> > xdaliclock
>
> I'll take this.

It's yours.

> > xsnow, not maintained upstream
>
> I understand you contacted the author about copyright - what was the result?
> I'm not interested in taking xsnow, since it's pretty clearly non-free, but
> I think we might not even be allowed to make the mods we do to package it..

This is what I have archived in the copyright file:

 Copyright
 ---------
 Xsnow is available freely and you may give it to other people as is,
 but I retain all rights. Therefore it does not classify as 'Public
 Domain' software.

The following was mailed to me by Rick Jansen:

> I'd like to include xsnow in the Debian GNU/Linux distribution (see
> http://www.debian.org/), but I'm unsure whether your copyright allows me
> to do so.

Distribution of Xsnow as I released it is allowed. Distribution of Xsnow
with changes is not, unless it concerns changes to the Makefile/Imakefile.

Hereby I allow you to include Xsnow in the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.

>From a later mail I (Joey, Martin Schulze) have received it is clear to
me that we are not allowed to modify xsnow in any way.  This suxx and I
feel a great desire to drop the whole package, completely.

---
He hasn't shown interest in switching to a proper copyright.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Unix is user friendly ...  It's just picky about its friends.