Re: cron has gone to UTC time?

jgg@ualberta.ca (Jason Gunthorpe)  wrote on 06.02.99 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.990206203523.20583A-100000@wakko>:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Steve Greenland wrote:
>
> > On 06-Feb-99, 15:20 (CST), Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > Considering that at least on my system there is no 'TZ' variable
> > > exported by my user I do not think this explains my problem, but it is
> > > none-the-less a problem (BTW using no timezone is probably better than
> > > one from etc)
> >
> > What it is in /etc/timezone? Is it correct?
>
> Yes, it is :>

But it doesn't stay that way all the time when you upgrade timezones.
Happened to me yesterday.

I think this counts as a timezones bug.

Scenario:

unpack cron
unpack timezones        - this deletes (!!) /etc/timezone
setup cron              - cron is now at UTC
setup timezones         - a correct /etc/timezone is recreated

This means that during a timezones upgrade, there is a window when the
system is running under UTC. During a mass upgrade, this window can be
fairly long.

MfG Kai