New summary: Binary peripheral software

(If we are distributing it then it isn't firmware.  I'll call
it 'peripheral software' until someone suggests a better term.)

There are differing views on two different questions:
Q1: Is binary peripheral software DFSG-free or not?
Q2: What do we do about it?

1. Binary peripheral software is DFSG-free.
   We distribute it in main.

2. Binary peripheral software is DFSG non-free.
   We distribute it in non-free.

3. Binary peripheral software is DFSG-non-free.
   We distribute it in main because users can't do without it.

4. Some binary peripheral software is DFSG-free, some isn't,
   depending on whether or not the binary is really the
   preferred form for modification.
   We distribute it in main or non-free as appropriate.

5. Some binary peripheral software is DFSG-free, some isn't,
   depending on whether or not the licensor designates the
   binary as the preferred form for modification.
   We distribute it in main or non-free as appropriate.

6. Binary peripheral software is DFSG-non-free and, if GPLed,
   not even distributable in non-free because the preferred
   form for making modifications is not provided.
   We don't distribute it at all.

7. Binary peripheral software is neither DFSG-free nor -non-free
   because the Debian Free Software Guidelines don't apply to
   software running on peripherals.
   We distribute it in main.

Keep those opinions coming!
--