Re: Summary: binary firmware in the kernel

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 03:48:27AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Let me try to summarize the different opinions in this thread:
>
> 1. a 300 kB binary firmware is DFSG-free
>
> 2. binary firmware must go to non-free
> this implies that the installer will no longer be able to install Debian
> on several computers
>
> 3. acknowledge that binary firmware is required, and make an
>    exception for it
>
> Please correct me if an important opinion is missing.

I think you missed the view that these binary firmware causes us
to violate the license of the GPL software that it is contained
within and therefore cannot be distributed at all.

My current plan is to remove the drivers qla* and tg3 from the next
release (2.6.5 and 2.4.26).

However, even if they aren't removed due to intervention from a
higher authority, I will stop supporting bugs relating to these
drivers unless there is a clear assurance of their future existence
within the kernel packages in main.