Re: [OT] 'real'-names vs. nicks (was Re: Proposal: /etc/friendlynames)

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:45:28AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:52:13AM -0800, Tom Ballard wrote:
> > I'll just use my real name from now on.  It was fun but there's no point
> > in pissing everybody else off.  I'd rather get my packages in.
>
> But then you've said you have two real names. Will you be sticking with
> Tom or using William on occasion?

Just call me William, I'll use it in my From line.

When one has a suffix after one's name, and goes by one's middle name,
and both first name and middle name have four abbreviations (Will,
Willie, Bill, Billy, William, Thomas, Thom, Tom, Tommy), one will tend
to put much less faith in the "Display Form" of a name.  I've seen every
possible permutation used by some company or agency, including American
Express with the misspelling Willaim, which totally screwed up
self-service checkins.

That's actually one of the fields I track in my PIM: how I am known by
each account, because nobody can find me otherwise.