Re: RFC: kernel packages cleanup

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:35:36PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Is there any architecture that _really_ requires kernel 2.2 today?

I believe so.  Do we want to try to continue to support these ancient
kernels with security updates in the coming years?  I certainly don't.

> 3. reduce the number of 2.4 kernel versions
>
> In unstable, there are currently kernel sources for six different 2.4
> kernels (2.4.{19,20,21,22,24,25}). I'd like to see the number of such
> packages reduced.

This is definitely necessary; I thought it made more sense to wait for the
freeze to remove things like this.

It would be even better if the kernel maintainers would cooperate (wasn't a
mailing list proposed for this?) to determine when versions can be removed,
and so continually prune them.

--
 - mdz