All Debian Sources HTTP-accessible

Hi everybuddy,

I am wondering if it is possible and useful, to have a website with all
source packages from our archive extracted and available. This could be
enhanced by syntax highlighting and other fancy stuff. Possible uses for
that might be:
 * As a package maintainer, I want to have a quick look at how
maintainer X of package Y solved problem Z without having to download
the complete source package.
 * As a user/administrator, I want to download the original version of a
locally modified conffile.
 * If run on a developer accessible machine: As a DD, I want to run some
tests/statistics/whatever on our sources.

Technically, this probably only involves something that detects all
changes (new packages/new versions/deletions) of source packages in the
archive and then downloads and extracts this new version and some
(mod-perl?)-magic that syntax-highlights the files if desired by the
user.

No idea yet how big this whole thing will be, but a machine like merkel
(673G available) should easily host this thing. It is also strong enough
to do on-the-fly syntax highlighting, I guess.

Any comments?

nomeata

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner