Re: The package "cruft" needs help

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 01:50:10PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> "cruft" is a really nice tools, but it unfortunately is not maintained
> very well.

"not actively maintained" would be more accurate.

Its major problem is that there was never any consensus established on
how to get packages to account for files that they provide/manage outside
of the stuff in the data component of the .deb. (eg, stuff that goes in
/var, config files that aren't conffiles, etc).

The last thing that happened was a discussion on -policy
(before Christian Schwartz (sp?) left, no less) about creating a
/var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkg>.extrafiles that would contain glob-like
expressions like "/var/spool/news/**" - the idea being * doesn't match
/'s, ** does. iwj was uncomfortable with using a non-standard form of
globbing, but there wasn't any alternatives suggested, and everyone
moved on to other things, leaving cruft to languish.

There've been other related ideas about how to register random files with
dpkg, but afaik none of them have gone anywhere.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004