* Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> > They shouldn't be, that's the point.  People who are using them as such
> > are *wrong* to be doing so, at least without any other information.
> > There isn't enough information to draw any useful conclusions about
> > there being a problem with the process.
>
> But as NM I couldn't ask the DAM because he ignores me. My AM had no
> idea what the DAM was waiting for so no help there. The webpage didn't
> show anything.
>
> Where else was I supposed to go looking?

The front desk would be one place, at least.  You had more information
than was present on the web page anyway though, and did have discussions
later with the front desk, etc, etc.  You, for other reasons, are
something of a special case as well.  My point was that the information
on the web page alone isn't enough to identify a problem in the system
and isn't actually useful for anyone but the FD and maybe the AM.  It's
neat information for the rest of the world to be able to see, but the
rest of the world shouldn't think that they can somehow identify a
problem with the system just by reading the webpage.

> > The sponsor should ask the applicant!  The second question isn't even
> > relevant to this- such situations aren't different for NMs vs. DDs, in
> > either case sending an email to the maintainer would work, if there's
> > need to.
>
> Whats wrong with noting on the webpages if the applicant is missing?

Certainly nothing is *wrong* with it, but it's not required and would
add to the time it takes for AMs to do their work *without any benefit*.

> Why should the sponsor try to contact him again and waste a month
> waiting for a reply thats not going to come? (e.g. when the applicant
> has been pinged already)

Honestly I don't see this happening.  What month is 'wasted' by the AM
attempting to contact the NM?  What about people who have packages
sponsored who aren't in the NM queue, or havn't been assigned an AM yet?
This isn't an argument, it's not even a point for discussion.

> In most cases proper notes are added by the AM or by the
> Frontdesk. They are doing a pretty good job there. In cases they
> forget I think its not bad if someone notices and inquires.

If they've got some reason to then I don't have a problem with that, in
fact, *that's exactly what I suggested*.  I don't think it'd be
productive for uninvolved people to ping AMs for such information just
to satisfy their own curiousity.

	Stephen