Re: Build-Depends-Indep: debhelper, utilizing it in debian/rules clean

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 03:47:08PM +0100, Roland Stigge wrote:
> consider #216747, where a package declares "Build-Depends-Indep:
> debhelper" and uses e.g. dh_clean in the debian/rules clean target.
> Build-Depends-Indep is defined to be satisfied in the build,
> build-indep, binary and binary-indep targets, but not in clean.

> For the main distribution, "grep Build-Depends-Indep .../Sources|grep
> debhelper|wc -l" results in 1871 packages. I didn't check all of them
> but I doubt that many of them also declare "Build-Depends: debhelper" or
> don't use dh_clean in the clean target. So >>1000 source packages seem
> to behave like the package in #216747.
[...]

I think you are overestimating the issue. Contrary to policy the
buildds do not install Build-Depends-Indep when running
debian/rules build
so these bugs are found fast.

See #216492 and the corresponding discussion on d-d.
                cu andreas