Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:07:05PM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
>  Debian Open Use Logo License
>
>  Copyright (c) 1999 Software in the Public Interest
> -This logo or a modified version may be used by anyone to refer to the
> -Debian project, but does not indicate endorsement by the project.
> +This logo or a modified version may be used by anyone, but does not
> +indicate endorsement by the Debian project.
>
>  Note: we would appreciate that you make the image a link
>  to http://www.debian.org/ if you use it on a web page.
> +
> +Note: this copyright license does not grant a trademark license.  If
> +it is applied to a trademark, you should be sure that you are not
> +violating trademark rights.

> Rationale:
> The old Open Use logo was not DFSG-free, so we really shouldn't be
> shipping it in main.  The proposed license keeps the spirit of the old
> one, while not restricting the logo's use.

Simon, there are a number of problems with Debian trademark policy and
the lack thereof and this only one. This was part of the rationale
behind the creation of a trademark committee over at SPI that is
trying to draft some new legal policy recommendations with the Debian
mark in mind (but hopefully not only useful for Debian). More
information about the committee and about project (including info on
joining) is in this thread:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2003/debian-project-200309/msg00004.html

The committee has been discussed at Debconf3, on -project (in the
Trusted Debian/Adamantix discussion) the SPI lists, and a couple other
places. The thread on -project highlighted the need for more
visibility so Martin Michlmayr and I have been preparing a formal
announcement for Debian.

Since there are already people working on this, I think that the most
constructive thing will be to follow up on the DPL's announcement in
regards to the trademark committee and to get involved in the efforts
already underway.

Regards,
Mako

--