Re: eicar.com installer in Debian, and pre-upload interface to ftpmaster

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:57:19 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 03 Jul 2003, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Since eicar.com has no license and eicar doesn't seem to be interested
>> in clarifying its license, inclusion of the eicar test string in
>> Debian proper is out of the question, even for non-free.
>
>Ick.  They are included in the amavisd-new _source_ packages.

Which is a violation of eicar.com's license in my opinion. I won't
file a grave bug against amavisd-new, but I suspect that somebody else
will.

>From http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm, I get that while they do
>not display a license, they explicitly allow us to distribute it.

NACK. The word "distribute" is not used on the web page. People are
encouraged to make use of the test file, and to point other people to
the eicar.com download page. I think the page makes it pretty clear
that eicar.com wants each user to download her own copy of eicar.com
from the eicar web page. Which is what my eicar-testfile package tries
to do.

Greetings
Marc