Re: W3C recommendations

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 19:44:35 -0500, Thomas Bliesener wrote:
> Do you consider the recommendations of the W3 Consortium as binding or
> optional for the Debian project?

I'd say having our documentation conform to W3C standards and
recommendations is desirable, but not a binding requirement. If you think
they should be a binding requirement, feel free to go through the documented
process for updating Debian policy,
	http://cvs.debian.org/debian-policy/policy-process.sgml?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=debian-policy&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

(Personally, I'd vote against a proposal to make it mandatory. We have more
than enough release-critical issues at the moment - cleaning up
documentation to conform completely to W3C standards and recommendations is
probably one of those 80/20 things, taking a lot of development effort for
little user-visible gain)

> Shall I file a bug report against these packages (and probably others)?

I'd say go ahead. Please make sure the bug report contains detailed
information on what a package does wrong and how a maintainer can test
compliance when changing the package's workings.

Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking