Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:58:04PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 18:38, Daniel Whelan wrote:
> > At any rate, what is the status of this? Is hardware the only thing
> > we're waiting for?

I talked to an AMD guy a while back, and he said we could get access to
machines if he sign certain NDAs. He did not really say what kind of
access though.

> Note that the x86_64 is special: It would be relatively easy to bootstrap
> a port on the actual hardware, but doing it right requires changing _all_
> library packages as well as many other packages. The problem is that
> we want binaries to be compatible with i386 as well as with other x86_64
> distributions and that requires the installation of both 32 and 64 bit
> libraries at the same time.

FWIW, we can probably discuss how to do an x86-64 port in the right
way[tm] *NOW*, we don't need access the hardware for this.

So, what are the other smart people thinking?

Michael