Re: Freeze Please?

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 01:46:29PM -0800, Chris Jantzen wrote:
> As soon as
> glibc 2.3 is sorted out, I imagine testing users will see about 100
> packages to download in only a matter of days.

A hundred? Hehe. If only. *gibber*

There's a bit over 1700 source packages that're nominally ready to be
stuck into testing *right now*, that're being held back by various
libraries and such (glibc, perl, python, C++, gtk, kde, etc). Which
is to say about a quarter of Debian, and probably biassed towards the
things everyone has installed rather than distributed evenly over the
stuff you don't have installed.

For the past five months or so, testing's been working "correctly"
but only in so far as unstable hasn't been. testing has *no* value if
we can't provide "functional" software in unstable on a fairly reliable
basis, and since woody's release, we really haven't managed that, even --
especially -- on the most core package of the entire distribution.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''