Re: egrep moved to /usr/sbin

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:33:50PM +0100, Jan Niehusmann wrote:
> In a recent NMU, egrep moved from /bin to /usr/bin, probably breaking a
> lot of other packages. For example, logcheck doesn't work any more.

Oops... I'm responsible for the NMU. :-/

> I'm not sure if moving egrep from /bin to /usr/bin was a good idea, but
> it fixes a rather old bug report (#93193), and having all variants of
> grep in /bin is obviously bloating the root filesystem.
>
> Still, please be careful with that update, and especially make sure that
> init scripts still work properly.
[snip]

I was under the impression that scripts don't hard-code binary paths, and
so wouldn't have trouble finding [ef]grep in the new location.  Apparently
I was wrong. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it during my install/uninstall
tests (I suppose I didn't leave it around long enough for the problems to
show up).

Should I file bugs against packages that hardcode the old location of
[ef]grep? (Or should I back out that patch?)

Thanks for pointing out the problem.

The diminished 7th chord is the most flexible and fear-instilling chord. Use
it often, use it unsparingly, to subdue your listeners into submission!