Large file support?

The question has been raised of large file support in PostgreSQL.  This
would be especially useful for pg_dump, which on a very large database
could easily write a file larger than 2Gb.

I've checked the glibc and kernel docs, but I cannot be sure from those
whether it is safe to turn on large file support for the binary
packages.  Will it work with any kernel? or will it break when run with
an older kernel?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "...ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be
      full."      John 16:24