Re: Why so many HW detection packages?

On Fre, 26 Apr 2002, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

Hello,

hwdata is needed by kudzu because it holds the
hardware data. The reason for kudzu/hwdata
in Debian is that it is needed for the Linux Live
CD KNOPPIX (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/,
CD ISO ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/).

AFAIK nobody works on a hardware detection system when
installing Debian and a request for adding
it into xfree got the tag wontfix (http://bugs.debian.org/137083).
Maybe Branden will support discover because he works there.;)

> There also seem to be some overlap in the HW databases included:

The reson is that there are 3 hardware detection system:
- Mandrake (libdetect, old)
- Redhat (kudzu)
- Progeny (discover)
- SuSE has a proprietary System yast2

>   **** libdetect0 ****
>   /usr/share/detect/pci.lst
134235 Feb 16 22:19

>   **** discover-data ****
>   /usr/share/discover/pci.lst
139602 Mar 19 18:54

>   **** hwdata ****
>   /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids
190580 Apr 15 21:02

>   **** pciutils ****
>   /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
157647 Mar 11 13:40

> Perhaps these packages should be synchronized?

I know redhat (kudzu,hwdata) and mandrake (libdetect) are
syncing their hardware lists from time to time.

Mandrake switched from libdetect to kudzu, afaik
(latest mandrake (8.2) version is using kudzu for HW detection).

--
	Noèl Köthe