Re: x-terminal-emulator

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 07:17:21PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 10:16:01PM +0100, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> > I'd like to add a menu entry for a command that needs a terminal
> > emulator. Can I rely on x-terminal-emulator understanding -e? How
> > about -T? Is this codified somewhere?
>
> To try to answer your question, my guess is that most, but not all,
> terminal emulators support these flags.

If we used a wrapper script instead of a link as

/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator

it would be quite easy to do command-line-options translation; The
wrapper would define its standard set of options, and each alterntive
program could somehow define (at installation time) a translation for
each of those options. Non standard options would be passed unchanged
to the alternative program.

That could be also useful for other categories of programs ("editor"
alternatives, "pgp" alternatives, etc).

Of course, it still would be desirable to have as similar option sets
as possible in programs beloging to the same "category", but in case
of option name conflicts, we would have a nice way to solve it.

Has this been proposed before?

--- Enrique Robledo Arnuncio <erobledo@ieee.org>
                             <erobledo@die.upm.es>
                             <era@ieeesb.etsit.upm.es> ---