Suggeston for "Testing" dist

Sorry if this has already been suggested,  I haven't had the time to
follow debian-devel recently.

just a blue sky suggestion:

Since testing use (in my understanding) is to avoid RC/grave bugs from
rendering ones system unusable.
So my idea was to keep the "last known good" version .deb in the mirror
as well as the bleeding edge version.
You would then have two Packages files (prob Packages and
Packages.testing)

This would require some modification to the Packages file generator to
be able to figure out which version to include in the testing Packages
file

Only modification to apt that I see (correct me if i'm wrong) would be
to let it use the alternate Packages file
You could expand the sources list syntax to let you say (or something
similar):
deb ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/ unstable(testing) main non-US/main

Hope this a useful suggestion.

Jim