Re: Maybe ITP: linuxtips - "Tip of the day"-Message-Viewer.

On Monday 23 October 2000 21:43, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 02:24:36AM +0200, Daniel Migowski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think, that it would be fine for new linux-users to have some "TIP of
> > the day"-Message shown each time the users logs into his system, or opens
> > a shell. I just write a little program, that displays those tips
> > randomly, like 'bible', with a replaced dictionary.
>
> Can you make this "debiantips" or "tips" or something? Or do you only want
> to include linux specific tips in this system (eg, think hurd)?

I plan to have different tips-files around, e.g. linuxtips (common),
debiantips, beginnerstips( don't think everyone want to be informed, that a
process can be put to background by pressing CTRL-D, e.g.), and tips that can
be installed from other packages. (emacstips, gimptips,....)

btw. the only thing to make realize this package lies now in a convention
where to put the tips (I favor /usr/doc/TIPS).

The problem is that users could expect to find documents in a readable form
there (where I mean a document better formattet that in the fortune-format).

An other idea is to give /usr/share/tips/ to debian, put then programs have
to provide documention like tips in two formats: readable in /usr/doc/ and
for linuxtips in /usr/share. On the other hand, many packages provide
information in text and in html format, which are to froms of the same
contents, so one more wouldn't hurt, too.

Please send comments, else I will finish the conventions for linuxtips in two
or three days.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    Daniel Migowski