Re: Maybe ITP: linuxtips - "Tip of the day"-Message-Viewer.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 01:35:23AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Daniel Migowski <Mig-O@Mig-O.de> wrote:
> >I think, that it would be fine for new linux-users to have some "TIP of the
> >day"-Message shown each time the users logs into his system, or opens a shell.
> >I just write a little program, that displays those tips randomly, like
> >'bible', with a replaced dictionary.
> >
> >Are there any suggestions on having a thing like that, or would you find it
> >annoying having such a thing installed? ...as default?
>
> If you do this, could you implement it as a fortune database, please?
> Any "tip of the day program" would be best as a wrapper around fortune,
> IMHO.

This has been proposed a few times over the past few years.
It was going to be part of dwww, but I don't think that ever
happened. I was proposing a fortune database for it at one
stage too.

Rather than a simple fortune file, it might be nice if there
was a /usr/share/tips or something which any package could
contribute to, if they had general type things that
could benefit the user.

Hamish