Re: Helix debian packages

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 12:41:45PM -0500, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 11:22:54AM -0400, James LewisMoss wrote:
> > The only differences I see between helix and debian gnome are
> > 1) The little bootup dialog has a different image
> > 2) The image in the menu bar is a flower rather than the helix
> >    loki-like guy.
>
> They also have better default configurations, more stuff packaged, better
> package integration, and often they have faster response times on bug
> fixes.
  "Better" is highly subjective. I personally find the "menu panel", in all
it's brokenness, iritating. Nor do I partiularly want all the bulk of gmc.
Thankfully I have an Athlon with plenty of ram with to sacrifice to gnome. I
dare not try it on a P90, as I have found it unplesent on a K6/233.

> People are getting paid to do it - at least Peter is.  What I see is a
> massive duplication of effort.  Helix is doing it and making it available.
  So, let me get this strait.  Some guy come out of the blue and decides he
needs to redo a lot of work for all the trivial reasons mentioned before.
And now we should just throw out the existing, fuctional, work because this
new guy wants to run a s/Gnome/Helix Gnome(TM)/g over the packages?
  For those of you that havn't taken an econ class, that's called product
differentiation.  It's pointing out and exagerating differences to make coke
appear not to be the same colored water was pepsi.

> With the exception of a couple of trademark images we're not sure of, the
> packages are free to include in Debian.  So why not set up a CVS
  Like the gnome CVS that's been up for the past couple of years?

> repository and have Debian and Helix people both working on the Debian
> packages together?  If there are indeed so few differences (and I think
> there are more than you realize), this would be trivial.  Even if there
  There had better not be any apreciable difference in the sources.  As for
"defaults", it's just a starting point.  If you're not making radical
changes to the default you're not getting the most out of your desktop.

> Of course, that's too simple and logical to be likely to happen.  Still,
> as someone who has had to try both of them, I'd rather stick with Helix.
> The minor packaging bugs are not even a serious problem if you use the
  Granted.0
> task package which pulls in all of Helix anyway (and besides, it's Gnome,
> installing one package would pull in half of them anyway..  By the time
> you install three, you have most everything already.)
  Unfortunatly I don't have an Athlon with a 25G harddrive on every system
I'd like to have gnumeric and abiword on.  Quite to the contrary, P90's with
500M drives.
  Every little meg counts when you're on a 500M drive.

  There is more to life, and Linux than shinny new personal T-Bird desktop.

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
"While software development is immune from almost all physical laws,
 entropy hits us hard" -Andrew Hunt