Re: would be a wishlist bug against alien, but ...

Branden Robinson wrote:
> What's also nice is NOT re-licensing derivative works of GPL'ed software
> under a GPL-incompatible license (like the CPL).  Not only that, it's a
> violation of the GPL, since the GPL does not grant permission to relicense
> derivative works; see Section 103, Title 17, United States Code.

It's not that simple. Corel's modifications to source files that are in
alien are under the GPL, I have been assured. Now, some of their changes
cause perl to use other perl libraries that corel has written and added
to their alien package, and those libraries are not under the GPL. I
forget if the CPL is GPL compatable; and I think this _is_ a form of
linking just like linking a C program with a shared library.

What puzzled me was the large number of people who disagreed with me
when I brought this up on debian-legal, and voiced opinions like it's
perl, so it's not really linking, and all kinds of BS.

--
see shy jo