Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Chris Waters wrote:

> > we haven't a script to find out whether a daemon is running yet, but
> > we should introduce one and fixate this in the policy).
>
> Yes, this would seem to be the only sane approach.  (Other than
> discarding file-rc and shooting Roland to put him out of his
> misery.:-)

All the current debian initscript approaches are buggy in that regard.
File-rc is no worse than standard rc?.d when it comes to a missing
"maybe-restart" behaviour, and packages starting initscripts out of
runlevel.

libc6 (and any other package which needs to interact with initscripts and
use the broken-as-designed "restart" function as it is commonly implemented
in initscripts) are actually prone to start daemons which were not running,
which is a damn ugly bug.

> I almost agree with you, but I think that trying to get libc to track
> all the packages that use it is bad software engineering.  Throwing
> the responsibility back on the packages, even though it's "not their
> fault", does make maintenance much simpler.

Ayup :-) I agree. But I have to say I dislike the mucking around with the
initscripts. IMHO it'd be far better to keep such stuff in
postinst/prerm/postrm, where it belongs semantically.

  Henrique Holschuh