Re: What is a Kernel?

Hello!
Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
> "Andreas" == Andreas Metzler <ametzler@logic.univie.ac.at> writes:
>> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) wrote
[snip]
>>> What I think should be done is that we should have the custom
>>> kernels that make-kpkg builds have a *different* package name
>>> from the built-in ones.  That would avoid all the epoch
>>> nonsense.  They would still provide the kernel-image virtual
>>> package name, and all should work.

>> Hello!  Use your own flavour!
>> /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/Flavours.gz cu andreas

> However, apparently for that to work, you have to start patching the
> kernel make file and ksym.c (is that file part of the kernel?), with a
> patch that "may not apply cleanly".

You only need the first patch from Flavours.gz ("The following patch
works for newer 2.2 kernels"), if you use a 2.2-Kernel. This patch
only adds *five* lines (plus some comments) and changes *one* line.
And it applies cleanly to 2.2.17. (Does it work with 2.4*, too?)

> IMHO: For flavours to work properly:
> - ideally it should be integrated in the upstream kernel source.
> Alternatively, in the Debian kernel source.

This'd nice.

> - Debian kernel images should be compiled with the flavour "debian".

Debian kernel images already come in different flavours (compact,
idepci, ...), they'd have to be renamed (debiancompact, debianidepci,
etc. _iirc_ I had problems with kernel-package or the kernel module
loader when I tried to use a flavour containing a dash. "ide-private").
            cu andreas
--
Andreas Metzler, Wien                         |
ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org                   |