Re: Debian boot system

> On Sat, 07 Oct 2000, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
>
> > The keywords are "as long as it can be done gracefully."
> >
> > You need to design a new /etc/init.d/rc which instead of reading the rcS.d
> > and rc?.d link farms, reads the paralelized boot sequence from somewhere
> > else in /etc AND the old serialized sequence from the proper rc?.d folder,
> > merges the two, and executes the resulting list of serialized and
> > parellized initscripts.
>
> No.  You need to create a Makefile, that can be SEPERATELY and INDEPENDENTLY
> managed (forget rc*.d).  No merging, not much of anything, just an
> auto-generated/maintained makefile, in an easily modifiable format.

My main concern about doing this is this:

make lives in /usr/bin.  Does make itself require anything from /usr?
How hard is it to make make live on the root partition?

In order for this to work during install, make would have to be part of
base.  Can the base disks absorb another 128K binary?  Right now, make
is priority Standard, not Required.  It's section is devel, not base.
Would it be acceptable for make to be Required base?

> > This needs quite a lot of work to be done right, but it is viable... as
> > long as you have a *human made* file describing all allowed paralelizations
> > (and everything else *especially stuff not in the allowed paralellization
> > list* runs serialized as it would be done by the stock rcS script, when
> > compared to each other AND the now paralelized initscripts).
>

> Basically, all that needs to be specified, are the dependencies.  As I
> already have specified roughly, in my Makefile draft (that works fine, btw),
> and took about 5 minutes to make.

Could you post your Makefile draft (and what other steps you had to
make for this to work)?  Do you have /bin and /usr/bin on separate
partitions?

--
     Buddha Buck                             bmbuck@14850.com
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our