Re: ITP: spong

At 07:26 PM 09/13/2000 +0300, Pekka Aleksi Knuutila wrote:
Spong is a simple systems and network monitoring package. It does not compete
with Tivoli, OpenView, UniCenter, or any other commercial packages. It is not
SNMP based, it communcates via simple TCP based messages. It is written in perl
and easily modifiable.

[etc]

 * Big Brother BBSERVER emulation to allow Big Brother Clients to be used

Very cool. I'll check the package out. I've got the ITP for big brother, and plan on filing one for big sister (a perl GPL clone of BB), since the author is excited about it being packaged for Debian.

Hopefully, we can make all of these play nice with each other, and replaceable with each other. Maybe we can define a 'provides' like 'bbclient' or 'bbserver' so we can use any of the possible combos.

feel free to write me offlist,

Seth