Re: New installer for CDD (was: Re: yast2 dependancies)

I have had a discussion with a few of the d-i people.  Seems the real problem with graphical interfaces over d-i lies in the use of debconf on the backend.  Yes, you can have a gui - but it would be just like the current newt-based offering..just with gtk or qt look.

I think people are thinking that it should be quite a bit different, for example: currently (or at least until recently) you can only have d-i set up dhcp for your IP address.  I don't think this is going to change.  I don't think it can change because you can't take a checkbox for example and select static IP vs dhcp and then fill in the required info..ip, netmask,gateway etc.

Because of the debconf backend this isn't possible.  So just re-coding the front-end won't change that.

I guess the differences come down to this in programming terms...a gui installer needs to be event-driven and the current d-i implementation is not event-driven.

So, I think it would be easier to port the Yast installer than to re-do the back end of d-i.  If we wait for d-i it will likely be several, not more, years.

If the yast-installer code is in the yast4debian repo I will download it over the next few days and take a look at it.

Thanks,

Keith