Re: Debian Desktop... but which Debian on my Desktop... now?!

Am Freitag, 1. Oktober 2004 03:16 schrieb Joey Hess:
> Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> > I'm a bit stuck right now - don't know what to use for the systems I set
> > up to be used by 'real users' (i.e. not Debian Unstable).
> >
> > The last candidate would be Debian Unstable or Testing (tend to unstable
> > because testing's desktop side already feels 'old' to me)
>
> I doubt many "real users" would agree with you.

YesI think so too, but personally I would not want to miss KDE 3.3 as there
are quite a few changes that are very important to me personally - with sarge
I'd be using backports the next 2 years or so I feel.
Don't want to leave the impression Sarge is bad, it just doesn't fullfill all
my personal requirements - and since I'll be maintaining other systems I'd
like to have them use something that resembles my own working environment in
6 month or so from now, too.
I figure those are pretty weak points and I can't make it really clear right
now, but my main motivation for "something else than stable" seems to be much
like the original motivation of a special "desktop" tree of debian.

I'll be setting up the system for my girlfriend this weekend and guess I'll be
using SimplyMEPIS 2004.02 for now - I prefer Munjoy myself (and would prefer
DDD I guess).

> > and the inavailability of a simple one-CD install version with KDE
> > (and GNOME if need be) is a real problem for me since I'm on dialup and
> > what  I would use (unstable I guess) is always changing.
>
> http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/cd-images/debian-weekly/i386/sarge-i386-1.iso

Thanks, I did not know the first CD included KDE - could have checked that
myself though - sorry for that :-/