Re: Introducing DoudouLinux

Hi Jean-Michel,

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:52:34AM +0200, Jean-Michel Philippe wrote:
> Concerning Debian Jr., we feel very excited about the idea, despite the
> fact that we still have a vague idea of your expectations. We currently
> generate meta-packages from Debian Live package lists (text files), but
> this is really far from a full DoudouLinux environment. I don't know if
> this is the right place to discuss the topic, just let me know where the
> discussions on this topic should take place.

The most relevant place for a discussion would be the Debian Jr. list
(in CC).  About "my" expectations:  The Debian Jr Blend is just orphaned
and nobody cares about it.  It needs somebody with some love who will
revitalises this cute project.  The "expectation" is that this somebody
takes over the job to make it as useful as possible - so just turn it
into what you consider the right way to make Debian fit for young
children (and in the line of this make it most easy for your own purpose
to create the live CD).  So if packages might missing in Debian and you
might have builded these - offer these for sponsoring into main Debian.
If you have patches to packages which you consider useful - just do not
be shy and care about specific tagging magic - what might be good for
you is most probably good for other Debian users.

Regarding the metapackages approach you are probably well advised to
read the Blends documentation at

    http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/

This somehow explains how you can easily build metapackages using simple
files which are just mentioning your needs.  These will be available for
any Debian user (also without the live CD) for an easy install.  When
building the Live CD you can just use these metapackages.  There are
some interesting features like checking the existence of packages and so
on which finally will give you an additional degree of freedom in your
live CD building business.

Feel free to continue this discussion on Debian Jr list (I'm subscribed
there).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--