debbugs (newbies) sprint

Dead debbugs hackers (and lurkers),
  as a result of an impromptu discussion among myself, Don Armstrong,
and Mehdi Dogguy, we would like to try a little experiment to attract
debbugs contributors and train a new generation of debbugs maintainers.
Not that we want to get rid of the _current_ generation of debbugs
hackers :-), but the more the merrier, especially in a fundamental piece
of the Debian development infrastructure such as debbugs.

The assumption underlying the experiment is that there are potential
debbugs hackers out there in need of some training or initial
handholding, given that approaching the debbugs code base might be a bit
intimidating. We don't know if the assumption is correct or not, but we
would like to give it a try.

The experiment itself is then to hold a Debbugs sprint with a specific
focus on training new debbugs hackers, teaching the architecture of the
system, or even simply answer newbies questions and doubts. Of course
all this could be done while practically going through the backlog of
pending debbugs feature requests, bugs, and the like.  Don has
volunteered as a reference "trainer" (thanks a lot!), but anyone on both
fronts (experienced debbugs hacker or newbie) is welcome to participate!

The sprint can either be an in person one [1] or a remote one, such as a
IRC-backed hacking and/or training session [2]. In case it will be an in
person one, I'll be pleased to provide travel means on Debian funds.

To proceed, however, we need to know who is interested and set up a
tentative date for the sprint. In turn, for that to happen we need an
organizer. It would hence be great if interested people could manifest
themselves following up on this list and if, among them, someone could
step up as organizer.

Feel free to forward this message to any potentially interested person;
I will mention this in the next DPL bits mail as well.

Let me know what do you think of the idea and do not hesitate to step
in!

Cheers.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Sprints
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/IRC/debian-meeting

PS I'm not subscribed to -debbugs, so I will appreciate if you can copy
   me on follow-ups