Re: New name: Call for opinions

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:02:03 +0200 (CEST)
Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> Well, actually this was my first idea which popped up in my mind and
> if I would have been able to write it on something more reliebale than
> the sand at Mar del Plata seaside I could prove this. ;-))
> But at least three people I was querying about this term had a quite
> strong opinion about the order of the terms and convinced me about
> rearinging it to DIS.  One of the strongest (Bdale) is perfectly a
> native speaker.  And honestly, I guess many three letter abreviations
> will be covered by some meaning in a certain language.  Do you really
> think that the target audience might be confused by the slang term?

No.  I'm not concerned about confusion, just the negative association
with slang "dis" and difficulty with our quirky pronunciation.  Many
people will pronounce it as they see it, though I am sure in the right
context, the hearer will understand anyway.

Actually, there is a very real risk of confusion with Intrusion
Detection System if we went with the ordering IDS, so scrap that idea.

Since I've failed to find a better alternative, I'll accept DIS even
with its flaws.

Ben