Re: Question about how to customize my distro

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Jesus A. Dominguez S. wrote:

2008/3/31, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>:
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Jesus A. Dominguez S. wrote:

> Hi, I make my own distro and I make the basics .debs to customized,

I want to make "my own distro" ...

I don't fully understand what you're saying, I build my own Debian
with simple-cdd, and I want to customize some things, from what I have
read, I thought that was the purpose of this list. No? help with
simple-cdd issues?

Well, I have to admit that I personally never tried simple-cdd which
is probably a nice tool but it is much less than preparing Debian as
a whole for a specific use with completely internal tools.

The page that describes the intention of the list is

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-custom/

and it does not contain the string simple-cdd, right. ;-)
But it just turned out that people who limited the general scope of CDD
as we defined it on the page

   http://wiki.debian.org/CustomDebian

to "I want to create my own installer CD" showed up on the
debian-custom list (I admit Custom Debian Distribution is a
_very_ _bad_ and _missleading_ name and we should change it)
and asked questions about creating _something_ _else_ than
Debian - just their own customisation.  I think we are quite
tolerant on this list to help out also in these issues but I'm
constantly busy to explain people to think about this because
the effort to do so is finally higher than using the approach
that we would like to suggest.

So your initial mail did not contained "simple-cdd" and thus I
answered it.  If it would have contained simple-cdd I would have
ignored it because I simply do not know the answer.

We are currently developing means to tweak the menus for Custom Debian
 Distributions.

So i can't change the menus for now?

The best solution is currently implemented in the Debian-Edu
packages by José L. Redrejo Rodríguez (who is explicitely in
CC to make sure he will not miss this posting).  As I said
I can not comment on the simple-cdd issue.

Kind regards

http://fam-tille.de