Re: simple-cdd with local packages [was: Re: Bandwidth Manager CDD]

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 01:17:56PM -0600, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > > I'm playing with it now. The first stage is , naturally, to package it.
> > > Both packages are currently avilable from http://tzafrir.org.il/rapid/ .
> > > I'll see how it goes.
> >
> > After some more playing:
> >
> > I started adapting simple-cdd to support LOCAL and LOCALDEBS in CONF.sh.
>
> i'll look at your patches when i get a chance... there are a number of
> relatively simple improvements i'd like to make, but haven't had the
> time and network access recently.
>
> > Next I noticed that there was zero documentation about the requirement
> > to run as root. Sadly debian-cd not only runs as root, but also edits as
> > root files under /usr . OK. Let's hope It won't destroy my system.
>
> i have never once run simple-cdd scripts as root, so that's probably why
> there's no documentation about it :P
>
> are you building the debian-installer CD from scratch, or using one of
> the released debian-installer CDs?

I'm trying to build it from scratch. Is there a 'mount' or 'chroot'
required anywhere?

The error message I got was (IIRC) permission denied creating a symlink
under /usr/share/debian-cd .

> > debpartial-mirror is *slow* and inefficient at mirroring. It seems to do
> > the whole mirroring process whenever I run it. Thus running it with
> > do_mirror=false is a must if you don't have extra hours to spend on
> > useless downloads.
>
> i had good luck using debpartial-mirror with a squid proxy, which helps
> a lot.

How about taking the rsync approach? you do have the md5sums of most
files for download separately. Much of the time is actually spent on the
files in the documentation (?) directories, which don't really change
often (right?).

Also: do you use HTTP HEAD or do you download the whole file?

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com